Friday, July 6, 2007

Day 44 Fergus Falls to Detroit Lakes, MN



Fergus Falls is an interesting place to try to get through on a bicycle. The route through town is definitely a locals only secret, and it was an adventure just getting to county road 88.

However, once we hit county 88 our progress was good. No wind to speak of most of the way to Pelican Rapids, so the riding was easy.
Shortly after Pelican Rapids, I had an huge RV flag me down and tell me that one of my riders "was broke down a ways back". Andy then called and told me he had a flat tire... I am so used to not seeing him in my rear view mirror, that when he pulled off I didn't even notice! So April and I turned around and peddled back about a 1/2 mile and lent a hand to get him up and running again.

Just outside of Detroit Lakes we were flagged down again. This time it was Andy's parents, and they came bearing cold bottles of Gatorade. I told them they were too late to fix the flat, but the beverages were really appreciated! A huge thank you to Ken and Janeen for being the D.L. pit stop crew!

Once inside the Detroit Lakes city limits we were flagged down yet again, this time be the chief of police. I was fairly certain we hadn't been speeding, so we pulled up along side his squad car. He told us that there was a great deal of road construction just ahead, and pointed us in the direction of a frontage road around the traffic jam. Thanks Chief!

Tomorrow we're off to Mahnomen... so close now we can taste TRF in the air!

No comments: