Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Day 20 Grand Tower, IL to Chester, IL




After our sleeping arrangements from last night, it was actually a relief to hear my alarm go off so I could stop pretending to sleep! We were up and packed our wet tents in no time flat, and then lingered a bit over our package-damaged can of chunked pineapple and a box of pop tarts. We got a bit of late start as a result of our lingering, but we really didn't mind.

We were into a head wind right off the bat, and today it was bright, sunny, and warm while we rode. However, the complete absence of any shoulder on highway 3 really made for an interesting morning! It was impossible to relax unless you pulled off into the grass and got off the bike. There was a seemingly continuous flow of Semi-trucks, heavy equipment, and the like.

I was off on the side of the road looking at the map, when 3 touring cyclists pulled up quickly behind me. They were all young, strong, and looked like they were moving fast even when standing still -- of course I hated them instantly! But they were really nice guys and were on a charity ride for Cancer research, heading to Oregon. After they ran off into the trees for a potty break, they were gone in a flash.

I resumed my turtle's pace somewhat self-consciously and settled into my rhythm. Things were going well until the hills started outside of Chester. And what hills they were! Steep and tall with blind turns... remember the trucks and lack of shoulder? Anyway while puffing up one particularly awful stretch, I was considering getting off an pushing the bike when I noticed something up ahead along side of the road. As I got closer I could make out the outlines of bicycles and I could see the Cancer research riders sitting on the road side, apparently watching me make my geriatric ascent.

I had visions of being the butt of some good-natured ribbing, and dreaded pulling up to the group. However, as it turned out they were stopped in their tracks by a snapped chain, something Jim Jesme had to rescue me from last summer with his pickup. I learned then (as did these boys today) that you can't simply muscle a loaded touring bike by standing as you peddle-- things have a tendency to break if you do. They had no spare chain, extra links, or master link, and little mechanical experience... April had already stopped to help the group, and as soon as I pulled up we set about helping to make things right with our spare parts and tools... I felt a bit better about the age, wisdom, and experience thing!

As I watched the group galloping up the succession of steep hills into Chester, April and I began slogging it out to meet up with Andy who was of course already rested at the public library. One of the great things about this, is that I can count on his having already scoped out the camping options, cheap motels, and of course any local buffets. That said, we're off to the buffet, but I can't help wondering if the boys will stop to pick up a spare chain before sprinting out town...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are already back in the North! It seems like you are making good time, but it is probably easier reading about it than doing it. I'll bet the Cancer bikers won't forget you for while! DJ