Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Day 13, Tues. June 5 Brownsville, Tennessee


Today was tough.
We're back into hill country, not as bad as Alabama but it's still a factor. Add to that a steady headwind after 11am, 90-plus degree heat, and then a bad decision on my part to continue riding after 1pm.

We just couldn't seem to get started this morning. There were all sorts of little individual things that people kept either forgetting or "just need to do this quick" that held us up initially. Then an extremely friendly railroad worker kept the conversation going for a half hour after breakfast, another friendly- but chatty couple in Whiteville... and finally both April and I just didn't feel 100% this morning.

Its 4.30pm and we've just rolled into the Brownsville library after 60+ miles of riding. I'm hot, tired, and my nerves are raw... The little endearing things that I've enjoyed these past couple of weeks are nothing but irritating to me at the moment, and I'm hoping we can get out of the library without having to exchange "pleasantries" with anyone about our being on an extended bicycle trip.

I've checked the weather and we can expect mid 90's all week in Tennessee. So I'm going to count today as a valuable reminder that I don't like strenuous exersize in the summer heat. Therefore, if we haven't reached our daily destination by 1pm, we'll be stopping until the heat breaks around 5pm.

As for right now, we need to find Andy and the motel he's chosen... and then a much needed shower and some proper food. I'm certain that we'll sleep well tonight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wishing I could send you each a large inflatable and transparent cooler complete with ice and cool drinks that you could take a rest in after 1pm.
HATS OFF TO YOU!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Andy, it's Derek (your only brother). Sounds like you guys are slowly but surely making progress everyday towards making it home. That's good to hear. I hope you are enjoying your trip as much as you can in the heat and hills. It sounds like you are setting the pace. I look forward to following your trip online. Give me a call sometime. Later.