Friday, June 15, 2007

Day 21 Chester to Belleville, IL

Today went fairly smoothly. We were off promptly at 6am and were rolling right along when April hollered out that my rear tire looked "funny". As it turns out it was going flat...funny. We pulled over and I quickly changed it, and we were back under way in 15 minutes. I replaced the brand new tube with a tube that I had patched several days back.

In Belleville we had a great supper at "Big Daddy's" and then I set my self to the task of patching the latest punctured tube. However try as I might I could not find the puncture or any damage of any kind even when submersing the fully inflated tube entirely under water... as I dried the tube off and was replacing the valve cap, the interior of the valve stem fell onto the floor... hmmmmm. Close inspection revealed that it had simply been loose and came apart. A little lock-tite blue and the problem and mystery were solved! Seems that I changed that tire for nothing...

We're all a little dopey and I think we will need a few days off in the near future. I think we're fine physically, but our focus is a bit off... could be all those lead paint chips have taken their toll on me!

No comments: